Make smart food and beverage choices
‘Tis the season when family and friends get together to celebrate and have fun. It also brings lots of tempting opportunities for eating and drinking.
You don’t have to give up all of your holiday favorites if you make healthy choices and limit portion sizes. Healthy eating is all about balance and moderation.
– Trim calories wherever you can. Refrain from adding too much nuts, cheese, butter, sauces, dressings and whipped cream.
– Scan the buffet and pass on foods that are available all year long. Just choose your holiday favorites.
– Skip the appetizers.
– Watch the salt. Salt can increase fluid retention and can increase blood pressure.
– Don’t skip meals before a party. Doing this tends to make one overeat during the party.
– Drink mostly water.
– If alcohol is being served, alternate each glass with a glass of water. This will help reduce your thirst while filling your stomach and you’ll consume fewer calories
“A Healthy Holiday to All!”
Stay physically active
– Be active for at least 2 ½ hours per week.
– Take a walk after a meal or join in the dancing at a party.
– Wash your hands often. Avoid getting sick and spreading germs to others.
– Stay warm.
– Manage stress. Keep your commitments and spending in check. Balance work, home and play.
– Get proper sleep.
– Travel safely. Don’t drink and drive.
– Avoid smoking and breathing other people’s smoke. If you smoke, quit today!